Friday, October 27, 2017

Hammersmith


 After the Nottingham gig I had traveled home to Herefordshire and took a day off at home. We were all now starting to feel the workload of the tour.
                                     
 Cardiff was just over an hour away for me by road, so after the gig despite the M4 motorway being closed I was home in no time. I love the little button in my car that say's 'take me home'! It's good for when the vehicle is forced to go 'off-piste' in an area that is unfamiliar, but it can be fooled and give false information. More on that later.

 The following day I crossed the country to the picturesque 'Centre of Learning' that is Cambridge. Like a lot of these gigs, I had played the Corn Exchange in the very early seventies. In the past, the Corn Exchange was where various cereal grains were used and traded as a commodity. By the 19th century, it all became centralised and the buildings were then used for other purposes (in this case, a concert venue).

 The gig was standing downstairs and consequently more raucous than most. Afterwards, I drove myself and Carwyn to the hotel near the legendary old Hammersmith Odeon. The name has changed here a few times over the years, but it will always be the Hammersmith Odeon to me and many others. 

 It's always a challenge to make the London shows as good as possible. It feels like a home gig, and at Hammersmith on the 8th of October 2017 we all felt we had played a blinder. It was a very fulfilling gig which was very satisfying for me, as my good friend Roger Taylor was in attendance. When any notable drummer is in the audience, especially Roger from the band Queen, it is extra special for me personally. All was well.

 We had a day off, then a drive down to Brighton to play the Dome (a gig set behind the Brighton Pavilion or the Royal Pavilion). This building was erected as the seaside residence of George Prince of Wales who became prince regent in 1811. The prince regent became George IV shortly after and employed his favoured architect John Nash to finish the building with an Indian Hindustan style. 

  After the Brighton gig I drove across England to Bristol. The show the following day was at the Colston Hall where I first played in 1971 with my band Karakorum. We supported the founding father of British blues, Alexis Korner. I had been introduced to him when I was at a gig in 1968 where he introduced me to the band Free. The bass player of that band was younger than me! Andy Fraser was 15 years old at the time. Paul Kossoff (gtr) Simon Kirke (dms) and Paul Rodgers on vocals. A great band with the greatest name.

 Chris Thomas, who produced the first three Pretenders albums came to the Colston Hall in Bristol and had also been to the show in Hammersmith. He remarked that it was a great pleasure to see the evolution of the band over four decades. Chris holds a special place for us all and has been a good friend all these years. 

 Well, I am currently in Dubai in the United Arab Emirates and I am on stage in two hours, so I will sign off for now.

  I will continue with the catch up of the British tour when I get to Perth in Western Australia in just over 24 hours.

 Thank you all for reading my timeline. See some of you soon in Australia!

M.D.C.


No comments:

Post a Comment