Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Memories from the British Tour, 2017

   On Friday the 13th I drove up to Manchester and followed the route my family had driven many times through the 50’s and 60's. Back then, there were no motorways in the west, so the A49 was the way to go. This journey was made in various cars through the years, but the first car I remember well was an Austin 7 Ruby.

  It must have been quite old but could still manage to travel at 47mph downhill with the wind behind it. The journey would take five or six hours or so, which translated to about a week and a half for an eight year old boy! It smelled bad and the constant cigarette smoke from the front of the car would often result in me throwing up over my brother!

The Austin 7 Ruby
 It was interesting to see the names as I passed familiar spots along the journey like, Prees Heath and the swing bridge at Warrington that allowed the smaller ships or barges full of goods to haul inland onto Manchester and probably Birmingham. This was part of the Manchester ship Canal. Today the journey was done amongst a lot more traffic in barely three hours.

  I drove back that night negotiating my way on the A49 to south of the M6 road works and arrived home in two hours fifty minutes.

  The following day was Portsmouth on the South Coast. In the early 70's my band Karakorum had played the Tricorn Club, which was run by the legendary radio DJ John Peel. In the afternoon, he arrived at the top of the tall car park block where the Tricorn Club was in his short wheel base Land Rover. We played football with him - a bit of a kick about before load in.

  During our show at around 10pm that night, Marc Bolan and Mickey Finn had walked past us to come and see John. They had finished the screaming teeny bop show with
T. Rex at around 9pm and were now going out to enjoy the evening with Peel.

  The next day was a gig in Birmingham, and in the late afternoon across the canal from the back of our gig was a band playing in a pub. They were knocking out Zeppelin and Sabbath songs, and were great. Chrissie was diggin' it and it was a nice distraction that killed the time very well. Just by the sound of it you knew you were in Birmingham! 

Photo by Alan Bayley
 The 17th took me to Liverpool and then the final show on the 18th to the Oxford New Theatre. This is where I had seen the very first Bad Company show in 1974. I had been staying at guitarist Mick Ralph's house in London whilst his flat mate (keyboard player Morgan Fisher) was off touring with Mott the Hoople in the States. It was a welcomed relief from sleeping rough in a van at the time.

 On the 18th, my old friend and photographer Alan Bayley had come to take some pictures of me. It was high time I had some promo shots for my drum manufacturer DW, and other general shots. Alan takes care of the preparation of my old pictures for the PRETENDERMC.COM photo archive site. We had a photo session at sound check and then he took some live shots of me.
 These are the sort of memories that remain with me during the closing dates on the British tour. 

Now off to Dubai and on to the Antipodean Tour.  We had played well and consistently in the UK but little did I know of what was to follow.

                                                                               M.D.C.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing ..its always great to read your stuff

    ReplyDelete