Tuesday, March 13, 2018

The Maracanã Stadium



 After rehearsals finished on Friday the 16th of February, I drove home to have a final few days there before I returned to the UK in April. I had arranged a meeting with the electrician to take a last look at the wiring mapping for the electrics that were to be run into the new section of my build. You only have one chance to get it right. A brief chat with the plumber and chippy for the same reasons and I put that all to bed for now. Any other questions I could deal with via email.
   
 On Monday the 19th, I picked up my prescription medications from the doctor’s surgery in my nearby village. After a quick jab for a blood test, I drove to Heathrow for the following days morning flight to Rio de Janeiro.

 After leaving my smoking tobacco and accoutrements behind, we flew down the coast of Africa and across the Atlantic and the equator for 11 hours or so. After getting some sleep and watching a few movies, we landed on time in Rio and made our way to the hotel. Our hotel, the Avenue Atlantica at the Copacabana was overlooking the South Atlantic, and despite the change in time zone, I found it wasn’t difficult to fall asleep close to midnight.

  I awoke early but I’m gifted with the ability of drifting back to sleep quickly. I got up at 08.30 and that was the end of any jet lag for the tour. It’s great having a direct flight down to Rio. My mornings started from 9 am. every morning from then on.

Frigate Bird. Photo via:airspacemag.com
 Today was a day off and without a thought about having a roll up I stayed local and ordered room service. It was a day of short walks and being entranced by the magnificent Frigate birds high above the hotel. These birds were named ‘Man of War’ birds by sailors in the days of yore because of their aggressive feeding habits. Being a marine bird, it is unusual that it has no waterproofing in the form of an oily preen gland. If the bird were to get too much water on it’s feathers, it would drown in the sea. It survives by being a fast and agile flyer and harassing other sea birds by chasing them down and getting them to regurgitate the contents of their stomach which it then scoops up by using it’s flexibility of flight and long hooked beak. I have a tattoo of these birds on my right arm.

  On the 22nd of February we travelled through the traffic to the famous Maracanã Stadium for a brief sound check and our opening show. For the performance I had a 1970 Brazilian national football team shirt with the famous number 10 on the back. This was the shirt of the legendary three time World Cup football winner and Santos player Pelè. He had been ill for a while and there were more than a few in an audience of 54,000 that noticed my tribute to a unique talent and true gentleman.

 All was well with our show but I was surprised that the humidity made me feel so heavy. It was quite an exhausting 60 minutes. However, it’s always a good feeling to get the first one under the belt. It was a slow journey back to the hotel, as the heavens opened up and paralysed the traffic with so much flood water. The amount of water overcame the drainage systems, which is a serious issue. Our 25 minute journey turned into an hour and a half due to abandoned vehicles on the road.

  The following day we flew down to São Paulo for the two shows there. We changed the show a little and once again everyone was roaring their approval. Thankfully, the humidity wasn’t too bad and the aching fingers in my right hand had calmed down. The stage was very slippery when my water antics covered the area in front of my riser, which caused Chrissie a little concern.

 Another flight took us further south to Porto Alegre (not far from the boarder with Uruguay). This stadium was quite beautiful in design, but prior to our show it began to rain and it didn’t quit. At this point, the lightning was flashing all over, and it seemed our stage time would be delayed. Luckily it abated and we took to the stage a few minutes late, stepping on hastily laid walkways of white towels. We had a fantastic time in Brazil. The next country was Mexico!

M.D.C.

5 comments:

  1. Very good writing Mart !! Hope to see you in Argentina !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Talking about soccer, will you wear our tshirt with the 10 on the Back?

      Delete
  3. Martin, what's your favorite bird? and I mean the ones with feathers and wings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll be front & center at the Ryman Auditorium, in Nashville, TN. Looking forward to seeing y'all then!!!

    ReplyDelete