Monday, June 18, 2018

Here We Go Again!


 At the end of April underneath the concrete of the Westway (a major carriageway heading west from Central London) we performed at a PETA gig in the newly appointed club Subteranea . It was surprisingly good even though it was a bit of a squash on the stage. It was both a promotion and a nod to Chrissie’s association with the organisation for the last 30 years. There were balconies above me either side so I could look the audience in the eye. It made a nice change. Everyone was pleased and I quickly disappeared back to my home in the ‘shire’.

 My time off consisted of a lot of physical work which helped keep me in shape. One job of many was shifting and scattering 6 tons of 20mm Hereford stone which helped lift my boots out of the Silurian clay/mud in the barnyard and give me a clean run to my new door. This was hard work but quite satisfying. After some final decisions on the barn build interior, there was a quick scramble to get my bag together, and in a few hours I was at the Heathrow airport hotel ready for next mornings flight to San Francisco.

 A few days previously, I had received a phone call from Johnny Borrell of the band Razorlight about getting some photos done for their new album that I had played on earlier in the year.
The photos were shot at the hotel at Heathrow, as (due to my flight in the morning), we needed an easily available location.

 Johnny told me the album was mixed and mastered and ready to go, so a few pictures were needed to put the finished package together for it’s release.
 
 The flight was uneventful and I dozed a little in between films. One notable film was Michael Caine narrating the film about the sixties called; ‘My Generation’. A must see.

 The sky was clear and blue as we flew over Hudson Bay and down past what was left of Mount St. Helens and on into the Bay Area. Today being the 16th of June and the 36th anniversary of James Honeyman-Scott’s untimely death, I looked down on the icebergs and continued to miss those days whilst enjoying every second of these.

The world cup tournament had started in Russia. This caused most games to be played in the morning hours here in the U.S.A. Good.

Mexico beat Germany 1-0 on the Sunday and England play their first game tomorrow (Monday 18th).

All to play for.

M.D.C.

2 comments:

  1. Great update - I've been wondering what was happening at the barns. I'm coming to either the SF or Arroyo show. Can't wait to hear my favorite drummer again!

    ReplyDelete