Tuesday, November 5, 2019

6th November 2019


Hello again everyone, and my apologies for the long gap in posting a new blog. 

 The rain is belting against my window as I write to you and the guns have moved off the escarpment to the north of me. The Spaniels and Labradors have finished the clear up of murdered pheasants across the meadow and the land can breathe again.

 As usual it's been insanely busy with so much still to do here with the conversion work at my barn. Dressing stones, walls to erect, and continued gathering of my archive. 

  It's been over three months since the Pretenders did a show, and what a show it was in the beautiful countryside way outside Boston, Massachusetts. We ended on a high after a strange conclusion to our European shows. This occurred at a festival someway outside of Oslo in Norway. Something went out of kilter timing wise between Chrissie and I mid show. We managed to rope it in ok but it was a strange one. Not the best way to finish summer touring. Fortunately, the Boston show put it all to rest. I can still find no explanation for it!

  By chance I met up with James Honeyman-Scott's sister Lynn Scott in June or July and she mentioned to me that the 'Friends of Lyde' had asked if it would be possible to use Jimmy's name to help raise some money for works to be carried out in the community of Lyde. Lyde is a small village where Jimmy is buried.

After thinking about it, I felt it could possibly be put together. The fundraiser had to be a musical evening to celebrate both Jimmy and Pete. 

This had to be good.

  With summer shows over I approached some key people in Herefordshire to put a band together. These people had either known Jim (and/or) Pete, or had played in bands with them and shared a hide out with them back in the day.

  As it approached, it seemed to get harder and turned out to be the most important and frustrating gig of my life, not to mention nerve-racking to the point of sleeplessness.

  I will describe this celebratory gig in my next blog post!

  In the meantime, here's a random picture of a sign in my home town of Hereford. Remember this: 
In the 1960's it would take over 4 hours to get to London in the van! In the early 17th century it would take a stage coach more than 12 hours to deliver the 'London Letter'. 
But then again, parking was a doddle.

This blog will continue soon. Honest.

M.D.C.

No comments:

Post a Comment