Friday, November 8, 2019

8th November 2019

(L-R: Paul Cobbold. James Williams, and the show off,
Martin Chambers. Photo by Alan Bayley.)
I had made up my mind, and this celebration for James Honeyman Scott and Pete Farndon had to be done. A couple more shows and I would be home for many months. Chrissie was heavily involved with getting her 'Valve Bone Woe' album out in September, James would be touring The Rails' new record (as was Carwyn), and Nick was enjoying family time and his own pursuits.

 First thing, I had to get a band, a venue, and a date. I contacted my friend Paul Cobbold, with whom I had begun to work with on my album. I had worked in a band called Karakorum with him from the end of the 60's until 1973. The band started as a trio, Paul on left handed Hofner 'violin' bass and James Williams on guitar. James and I had played in blues bands from 1967. My musical journey started from there.
Playing with Karakorum at the Hereford
United football ground with Mott the Hoople,
Heads Hands and Feet, Amazing Blondel,
and Frumpy (a band from Germany).
Photographer unknown.
After a brief meeting with Sally, the representative from the community of Lyde, we fixed the date for September 7th at the Left Bank near the old River Wye bridge. Paul and I agreed that the left Bank venue had a harsh sound. I made the point to Sally that this was all about the music and the venue was too small and didn't hold the sonic quality or the audience capacity that was needed. Sally was great and she was very supportive. 

 A few years ago, Paul Cobbold had put on a show for friends at a hotel venue at the edge of the city. It had a large ballroom and was the perfect venue for our tribute night. Paul had also contacted a local production company who supplied the stage that had to be assembled. Things were looking good!
 Paul and his partner Sue Watkins front a band called Mode-X, and they sang all sorts of cover songs including Kid. Sue was also a great organiser so things progressed well.

Yep that was me back in 1970.
 Photo by Alan Bayley
 I mentioned I wanted to play four or five songs with Mode-X and then play guitar and sing the Steve Winwood song 'Can't Find My Way Home'. What was I thinking?  I'm no guitar player.  I'm no singer. Some way down this bumpy lane I would realise how much I had to improve to stand a chance of pulling this off. So, not shying away from the importance of this evening to me, I ramped up the pressure adding a song of my own for the Jim and Pete 'celebration night'. A half finished song about 'us boys' called 'Back in the Day'. 

Soon enough the reality dawned on me that I had a mountain to climb.

M.D.C.

2 comments:

  1. As good as your word Martin, continuing the blog so soon. look forward to more!

    ReplyDelete