Thursday, July 12, 2018

Heat vs. Drummer

'A good looking 'Vette' parked outside the stunning Pfister Hotel in Milwaukee.'
As I settle into the touring routine of bus, sleep, hotel, sleep, gig, shower, I find myself getting stronger. It takes a while.

The heat is still playing it’s part, but as long as I rehydrate and get at least one banana a day to help with the mineral intake quota, I settle and there are no muscle quivers when trying to sleep.
I once talked to my old friend John McEnroe about these essentials and he was an adamant banana consumer for the very same reasons. It was a pity to miss him at the Arroyo Seco show in Pasadena. I am however enjoying his commentary at the Wimbledon Championships in London. It was great to see him doing a summary with his youngest brother Patrick McEnroe one afternoon. Patrick was a great doubles player and captain of the United States Davis Cup Team.

'Resting spotlight. Pabst Theatre, Milwaukee'
The shows have been varied and we had to miss the Hard Rock show in Northfields on the 7th of July. Chrissie had laryngitis and couldn’t sing. After the doctor's prescription, recovery was swift. She has a way of singing in an adjusted way to compensate for reaching to various notes. I find it fascinating. She is a great singer and after all these years I still become transfixed by these places she can inhabit.

We got back up to speed and had some great shows. As I sit in my very comfortable room here in Birmingham, Michigan, last night's show that already feels like a week ago was one of the best yet. An all standing affair with winged balconies. This is my favourite type of venue because there was no box attached to the room like theatres have. I was in the room.

'A great gig to play. 20 Monroe Live, Grand Rapids.'
The previous night's travel after our show in Milwaukee got us in to Grand Rapids at just after 5am. It was a 250 yard drag to the room at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel and I couldn’t sleep because the light came flooding in at 5.40. I went for a walk by the river and got some fuel on board with an excellent breakfast. I ended up with two hours sleep.

I slept in the warm stairwell of the gig on a concrete floor for an hour. It did the trick and straightened my back out to great effect. A great show. Last night I slept eleven hours because the room is quiet and the curtains work! So now a couple of shows in Detroit and Chicago with the Defs.

Thanks for your interest. I will log back in soon. Take care out there!

M.D.C. 


2 comments:

  1. Love reading your 'diary' of the tour Mart! Feel like I'm with you! Enjoying the ride! LOL!

    ReplyDelete