Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Difficulties of Sleep and Travel


Using a tour bus is great. Literally ‘on the road’. One for the crew and one for the band. The night drives for me are generally ok but that depends on the duration of the drive.

At last - recognition!
If the drive is less than five hours I will wait for everyone to vacate the front lounge and settle in with my pillows and blanket and watch TV or a DVD. A few times it was just C.H. and me watching something.

If it’s more than five hours I will make it to my bunk with varying results. The added complication is that the entertainment centre on these buses is far too complicated to work easily. That’s if everything is working correctly to start with!

Tom, our driver on this one, had to set up the DVD player after a week or so (no lead connected because there was no lead from player to TV)!

Last night we got in to Des Moines at 05.30. Over the last few nights I had watched a few Deadwood programs from the first series, and at this point I knew of it but had never seen it. I am now up to episode ten of the first season. After, I dozed a little for a few hours and then managed to sleep at the hotel from 6am until 10am.
The beard didn't make it!

Very often arriving into a hotel room where the curtains don’t fit the windows can mean little if any sleep. There are solutions.

The wardrobes contains hangers with a pair of grips on them. These can be utilised to hold ill fitting curtains together. However, balancing on wobbling chairs at 05.30 trying to maintain a sleep mode can be arduous.

Also, the temperature of the rooms and the foolishness of the bedding can be time consuming to adjust. This results in trying to sleep in a mood of frustration and sheer incomprehension.


By this time, in Minneapolis, sleep seemed not impossible but the roadworks started up and the maids and guests start their day. These activities could be described as ‘unfortunate’.

The reason we are in the U.S.A. is to perform our songs the best we can. This we have done to the best of our abilities. However, in the Comerica Park in Detroit, the sun beat down upon us mercilessly and it was a great trauma for us. I resorted to an ice cold towel around my neck that ended up over my head for the last five songs. Almost impossible.

The Def Leppard’s have been very kind and chatty. The other act on these few shows we never saw.

The Wrigley Field show was great and our own shows have been truly great. We have all shared various problems during the shows and this is par for the course.

The last two shows at the State Theatre in Minneapolis and the Opera House in St. Louis were first class.


So tonight is the last of our own shows here in Ames, IA. Tomorrow we fly into Denver for another show with the Def’s at the Coors Field.

It seems there are plans afoot for another tour of the U.S.A. next year. It could be in the late spring so please come see us again. There seems to be a complete change to the set list in the air!!

Thank you for your understanding of these unusual ways of life that we lead. And remember: DO YOU KNOW WHERE YOUR PLASTIC IS?

See you again soon!

M.D.C.


5 comments:

  1. In Denver you will need to increase your H20 and carb intake. Also you’ll be happier if you have hand cream and lip stuff. I use 2 sleep apps when traveling....”Bed Time Fan” and “Relax Melodies”. It will be really hot in Denver too — 95 degrees. If you can have them blow dry ice on you — it will help. They use it in other venues here (with commercial fans). You know me from 30+ yrs ago... if you/CH or Eileen want to see me in Denver contact me. Would love to see you. I’m in Colorado because I came here with you all in 1984 Red Rocks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer Rosenberg — I’m your FB friend

      Delete
  2. Thanks Martin, I relate to it coming of the bus and hope to get three or four hours sleep before you get up eat some food and off to sound check and especially trying to prevent that little bit of light that will find it’s way through those curtains, causing your eye balls to dance behind the lids untill your brain gives in and sleep you will. Good luck and have fun....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to hear about the set list change...its long overdue Mart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Martin, I watched the Pretenders show at the Bospop festival, July 8th, last year... It was great and you guys had real fun. I discovered your music back in 2010 when I fell into a depression... At almost turning 30, I really had a hold on your music and especially at all the things Pete Farndon presented... his playing, bass lines and looks....It blew me away. Looking back, I just needed a hero back then and Pete became the one. So the show of last year was a bit emotional for me too, looking back. I want to thank you for the music that The Pretenders give me and I often think about how Pete and Jimmy would have looked liked today.... I also wonder if his white Fender Precision Bass is still in possession of you or Chrissie... Whatever happened to it? Greetings Joris van Laarhoven (also your follower on Instagram), living in Helmond, the Netherlands... (1981).

    ReplyDelete