Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Hot Hot Hot


Ryman Auditorium
The Ryman Auditorium is best played acoustically. It really isn’t good for a rock band. Not unlike the Royal Albert Hall in London, as soon as the sound gets over a certain volume, it is not good for the band or the audience. 

It was a tough show. We got lost a few times but it’s about how we find our way back to the song that never fails to amaze me.
Heading to the Louiseville Palace in Kentucky

For the first time in 40 years I lost it on Tattooed Love Boys. For some inexplicable reason I stuck in a bar of 3/4 in a 4/4 section which turned the snare beat on it’s head. The song has a 4 bar base but on the verses the 2nd bar is in 3/4. So the section has count of 15. Still with me?

Basically I shuffled! It doesn’t help when I feel disconnected with regard to my sound. Nuff said!

We travelled the following day to Louisville, Kentucky and played the Palace which turned out to be a great night.

During the afternoon out the back of the venue I saw a Cooper’s hawk catching a starling. These events are a privilege to witness should you be aware enough to know these activities take place in an urban environment as well as in the countryside.

I took a hot bath in my room after the show and we drove through the early hours to Cincinnati. I need these two days to relax and rest.

My computer had arrived back from it’s travels after I had left it on a flight and I spent the following day catching up on the usual digital work.
The FIFA World Cup

The heat on this tour has taken at least four pounds off my usual weight loss, but all is good on that count as long as I sleep and get enough of the right food at the right time.

In a tense last 16 game in the World Cup, we beat Columbia on penalties to go through to a quarter final game against Sweden on Friday the 6th of July. So we are still in it. We just
need to win the next three games, that’s all! Then we can bring home the World Cup trophy.


The first World Cup was played in Uruguay in 1930. Uruguay won (check out my blog from when we played in Montevideo earlier this year). FYI, The Jules Rimet Trophy was used until 1974. England won it in 1966.

The latest trophy is imaginatively called the FIFA World Cup Trophy and is made of 18 karat gold with a malachite base. It weighs 6.1 kilograms and is 36.8 centimetres high.

We don’t call this game soccer. It’s called football because we kick the ball with the foot. The Football Association (FA) was formed in England in 1863. American football became popular in the early 20th century with changes brought about by a man named Walter Camp of Yale University and a Hopkins school graduate who is considered to be the father of American football.

More later.

M.D.C.

2 comments:

  1. As a fellow drummer, even with the snags, I think you guys put on an amazing show in Nashville. Only complaint I have is missing getting to see you minus the glass around you

    ReplyDelete